VLC (VideoLAN Client) is an open source cross-platform multimedia player for playing almost all types of audio and video formats DVD, CD, VCD, MPEG, DivX/Xvid, Audio CD, Ogg, and many more and including various supported streaming media protocols.
What’s new in VLC 2.0.5
- DVB-S delivery system detection
- PulseAudio Playback initial synchronization fixes.
- AIFF, SWF, MKV improvements
- Encoders initialization for Mpeg-2 audio and video
- Support https streaming
- Selection for Audio and video track
This new release fixed and improved almost overall VLC media player stability. For more information and complete change log can be found at VLC News.
Installing VLC 2.0.5 Media Player
To install latest release of VLC 2.0.5 Media Player on Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) and Linux Mint 14, open the terminal by hitting Ctrl+Alt+T and run the following commands. We are using official VLC PPA repository to install latest available version. So, at the time of making this article, it contains VLC 2.0.6 under Ubuntu 12.10. Basically VLC PPA installs whichever VLC version available under it.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install vlc
For older version of Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin), 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and Linux Mint 13/12 users can also install or upgrade to latest versions by following above commands. But please remember, the official vlc ppa only installs whichever latest VLC version available based on Ubuntu versions. So, if yo want to upgrade to more recent versions, then consider upgrading Ubuntu.
Starting VLC Media Player
Run the following command from the terminal to start the VLC Player.
VLC Media Player Screenshots
Latest posts by Ravi Saive (see all)
- 10 Useful Free Linux eBooks for Newbies and Administrators - December 9, 2013
- TeamViewer 9 Released – Install on RHEL/CentOS/Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu - December 8, 2013
- CentOS 6.5 Released – Upgrade from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.5 - December 2, 2013
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.