How to Setup MySQL (Master-Slave) Replication in RHEL, CentOS, Fedora

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. prashant kumar says:

my master slave was running perfectly but once master got shutdown due to power failure (breakdown ) and it stop replication how to overcome this situation ? or restart replication with minimum downtime

@Prashant,

Never faced such power failure issues, but I think there nothing to worry, once you master started its automatically starts replicating to slave..

2. Tudor says:

To put master host and so on slave in /etc/my.cnf is officially deprecated.

Instead run in mysql

Extract from official website
    “2.2.5.2 Setting the Master Configuration on the Slave

To set up the slave to communicate with the master for replication, configure the slave with the necessary connection information. To do this, execute the following statement on the slave, replacing the option values with the actual values relevant to your system:

mysql> CHANGE MASTER TO
        ->     MASTER_HOST='master_host_name',
        ->     MASTER_USER='replication_user_name',
        ->     MASTER_PASSWORD='replication_password',
        ->     MASTER_LOG_FILE='recorded_log_file_name',
        ->     MASTER_LOG_POS=recorded_log_position;

3. Arun Mohan says:

I got the same error..

4. James says:

mysql -u root -p < /root/dbdump.db
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1794 (HY000) at line 22: Slave is not configured or failed to initialize properly. You must at least set –server-id to enable either a master or a slave. Additional error messages can be found in the MySQL error log.

I got this when I tried to do the restore on the slave.

@James,

Have you properly configured Slave server? added correct server-id in slave my.cnf file? please check and confirm..

• Gulab Pasha says:

Hi Ravi,

I have followed your article its good, I have done the configuration in Master no issue but getting an error on slave while importing DB