How to Install ‘IPFire’ Free Firewall Linux Distribution
Step 6: Set DNS and Gateway Settings
27. Choose DNS and Gateway Settings to configure the DNS and gateway. Here we can provide a Manual DNS or it will get assigned because we used DHCP in above step. If you need to be relief from these headache? Just leave this blank.
Choose DONE to exit from DNS settings.
Step 7: DHCP server Configuration
28. We need to configure DHCP settings for our GREEN interface for LOCAL/INTERNAL interface. To get IP for client machine’s from DHCP.
DHCP pool range will be from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100
29. We are almost completed our setup, Choose OK to complete IPFire setup.
Step 8: Post Installation Setup
30. After reboot, we will get the Command line access using root credentials which we provided during setup at step #15 above.
USERNAME : root PASSWORD : redhat123$
31. To access the web interface use the below URL, Which we used for the GREEN interface local/internal will be used for the WEB interface. Enter the username as “admin” and password that we’ve set at #step 16 above.
32. Once you logged in, you will get the Dashboard of the web Interface in IPFire.
There are many features included in IPFire they are as follows, Web Proxy with squid, URL filter, Update accelerator, DHCP server, Connection scheduler, DNS Server, DNS forwarding, Static Routes, Wake-ON-LAN, Open VPN, Dynamic DNS (DDNS), Time server, Bandwidth monitoring, Memory usage, Log collector for every services, Syslog, Firewall rules, P2P networks, iptables, Backup options and restore for configurations, Shutdown etc..
Following are the screen shots of IPFire features.
We have seen how to protect our office or home network with IPFire firewall/Router, IPFire was a German based Linux distribution only focused on security. Hope you have found this article simple and easy to install and configure firewall for your office or home environment. Don’t forget to fire your comments below after working around with IPFire..