How to Install Nagios 4.3.4 on RHEL, CentOS and Fedora

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Shankar M V says:

When I run the command “systemctl start httpd.service“. It shows the following error “Job for httpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status httpd.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.”

Can anyone please help for the same…

2. Manikandan says:
    # make install-commandmode
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 775 -o nagios -g nagcmd -d /usr/local/nagios/var/rw

# chmod g+s /usr/local/nagios/var/rw

*** External command directory configured ***

# make install-config
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 775 -o nagios -g nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc
    /usr/bin/install: invalid group ‘nagios’
    make: *** [install-config] Error 1
    -bash-4.2#

During nagios core installation steps I got the above error, I have created the group already

# useradd -m nagios
    useradd: user 'nagios' already exists
    # groupadd nagcmd
    groupadd: group 'nagcmd' already exists
    # usermod -a -G nagcmd nagios
    # usermod -a -G nagcmd apache
    # pwd

Please advise to proceed further

3. Ganesh joshi says:

Sir, when i am doing http://my-ip/nagios it gives internal server error and if i read log on tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log it says the there is not any index.html and .php file.

Pleas help…..

4. Rashid says:

All installation fine, the problem when accessing the nagios on browser.

servername/nagios
    Error
    Forbidden
    You Don't have permission to aces /nagios/on this server.

Kindly assist?

@Rashid,

It’s something SELinux preventing from the accessing the nagios page, try to set SELinux to permissive mode, you can use the following command to set:

# chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
      # chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t /usr/local/nagios/share/

Don’t forget to restart the Apache service..

5. ashish says:

I am also new to Linux. I am also having same problem as you mention in your first comment. Can you please mention the details about port forwarding. I have installed nagios on server . I am getting error of 404 not found.

Please help.
    Thank you.

6. James says:

Hello.

I try to set up this nagios service but, well when it asks me user and password I provide “nagiosadmin” and “password“. Nevertheless I can’t access the web interface.

Would you provide me the right username and password please?

James

@James,

Run this following command to set new password again for Nagios admin.

htpasswd -s -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin

• sam says:

Hi, After running the above command, I get the output like.

htpasswd: cannot create file /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

what should I do?

@Sam,

Try to disable SELinux and try again or create file htpasswd.users manually and run the command again.

# htpasswd -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

7. VA says:

I am a beginner with Linux and network monitoring tools. I am installing Nagios 4.3.4 on CentOS 7. I followed the instructions posted here however, I cannot access the web interface. Should I have modified some config file to provide the IP address of my machine/server, please? Could you please point me towards things which I could check?

Thank you.

@Vanessa,

Could you tell us what error you getting while accessing Nagios web interface?

• VA says:

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I was getting the ‘This site can’t be reached’ error on Google Chrome upon trying to access the Nagios web interface via http://10.0.2.15. However, I managed to solve this. I had forgotten to mention that I installed Nagios on a virtual machine on PC. The problem that I was having was due to a port forwarding issue it seems. I set up port forwarding (for port 80) from the VM to the PC and now everything works just fine :)

Thank you for your help and interest!

• na says:

Hi I got an error the same as you. I try to do many things still not help.

I disabled SElinux
          add port “12489 ” in firwalld.
          and after check i found the problem when i start
          ==================================================
          [[email protected] ~]# systemctl enable nagios
          nagios.service is not a native service, redirecting to /sbin/chkconfig.
          Executing /sbin/chkconfig nagios on
          The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
          using systemctl.
          Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
          1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit’s
          .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
          2) A unit’s purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
          a requirement dependency on it.
          3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
          D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, …).
          ======================================================
          ==>> can anyone help me?!

8. shuja says:

Dear Ravi,

I did the same as you said in this file /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg but no luck still service not running see the logs below

Stopping LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server…
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 nagios: Stopping nagios:/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios: line 140: kill: (1194) – No such process
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 nagios: done.
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 systemd: Starting LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server…
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 nagios: Nagios 4.1.1 starting… (PID=2746)
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 nagios: Starting nagios: done.
    Jan 11 11:47:11 nagiosserver1 systemd: Started LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server.
    Jan 11 11:47:12 nagiosserver1 nagios: Local time is Thu Jan 11 11:47:11 +03 2018
    Jan 11 11:47:12 nagiosserver1 nagios: LOG VERSION: 2.0
    Jan 11 11:47:12 nagiosserver1 nagios: qh: Failed to init socket ‘/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh’. bind() failed: No such file or directory
    Jan 11 11:47:12 nagiosserver1 nagios: Error: Failed to initialize query handler. Aborting

9. shuja says:

@ravi

I have verified nagios configuration as per your above process configuration is all OK. but in my nagios web URL on homepage i am getting a message “nagios core not running” it is not showing nagios running with PID. in TOP command result also there no PID associated to nagios.

please find below commands outputs

[[email protected] ~]# systemctl status nagios
    ● nagios.service - LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios; bad; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (exited) since Tue 2018-01-09 19:26:59 +03; 13h ago
         Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
      Process: 4467 ExecReload=/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios reload (code=killed, signal=T                                                                                        ERM)
      Process: 4926 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start (code=exited, status=0/S                                                                                        UCCESS)

Jan 09 19:26:59 nagiosserver1 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Starts and stops the....
    Jan 09 19:26:59 nagiosserver1 systemd[1]: Started LSB: Starts and stops the ....
    Jan 09 19:26:59 nagiosserver1 nagios[4926]: Starting nagios: done.
    Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

[[email protected] ~]# service nagios status
    nagios is not running

[[email protected] ~]# df -h
    Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/centos-root  4.9G  3.7G  1.2G  76% /
    devtmpfs                 473M     0  473M   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    489M     0  489M   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    489M  7.2M  482M   2% /run
    tmpfs                    489M     0  489M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda1                297M  144M  154M  49% /boot
    /dev/mapper/centos-var   997M  509M  488M  52% /var
    /dev/sr0                 4.3G  4.3G     0 100% /run/media/root/CentOS 7 x86_64
    tmpfs                     98M     0   98M   0% /run/user/0
    [[email protected] ~]#

Please also see below logs while restarting nagios service these logs are generated.

systemd: Starting LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server...
    Jan 10 09:13:49 nagiosserver1 nagios: Nagios 4.1.1 starting... (PID=8415)
    Jan 10 09:13:49 nagiosserver1 nagios: Local time is Wed Jan 10 09:13:49 +03 2018
    Jan 10 09:13:49 nagiosserver1 nagios: LOG VERSION: 2.0
    Jan 10 09:13:49 nagiosserver1 nagios: qh: Failed to init socket '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh'.
    bind() failed: No such file or directory
    Jan 10 09:13:49 nagiosserver1 nagios: Error: Failed to initialize query handler. Aborting
    Jan 10 09:13:50 nagiosserver1 systemd: Started LSB: Starts and stops the Nagios monitoring server.
    Jan 10 09:13:50 nagiosserver1 nagios: Starting nagios: done.

Please note i am running this in vmware on centos 7

@Shuja,

It seems to me a bug in Nagios version, you can fix this issue by adding a following line to your nagios.cfg and then restarting nagios.

query_socket=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh

And the restart:

# service nagios restart

If it’s still showing same error, you can check this thread about this bug for solutions – https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1291718

10. shuja says:

my all configuration is OK but on nagios web page it is showing nagios core not running. can you please help?

@Shuja,

Could you share exact error message with us? so that we can have better idea. Also have you verified your nagios configuration?