Installing Skype 4.3 (Latest Release) on Arch Linux
Skype is a most popular VoIP – Voice over IP – free application was released on 18th June 2014 with an upgraded version (i.e. Skype-18.104.22.168) for Linux.
What brings new in this version of Skype for Linux:
- An enhanced User Interface.
- A New cloud-based Group Chat exposure.
- Improved support for file transfer using on multiple device the same time.
- Support for PulseAudio 3.0 and 4.0.
- ALSA sound system is no more supported without PulseAudio.
- Many bug fixes.
This tutorial will show you how to install latest version of Skype on Arch Linux with PulseAudio support, since Skype team announced that they discharged support for direct ALSA and this version will only work if you’ve PulseAudio 3.0 or higher version installed on your system.
Install Skype 4.3 on Arch Linux
1. The upgrade process of Skype on Arch resembles with the Skype on Gentoo Linux. Before installing Skype 4.3 on Arch Linux, assure that you have PulseAudio and all the required libraries installed on your system using the following commands.
On 32-bit Arch Linux
$ sudo pacman -S pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa pavucontrol
On 64-bit Arch Linux
$ sudo pacman -S pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa pavucontrol lib32-libpulse
2. Then stop and start PulseAudio server with the following commands.
$ pulseaudio -k $ pulseaudio --start
3. Now install old Skype package from official Arch repository in order to pull out all the dependencies required to run smooth.
$ sudo pacman -S skype
4. Now to upgrade your software to the last version, go to official Skype web page using followiing link and download Dynamic package and extract it.
$ cd Downloads $ tar xjv skype-22.214.171.124.tar.bz2 $ cd skype-126.96.36.199/
5. Don’t leave the folder and use the following commands to upgrade Skype to latest version 4.3 from sources.
$ sudo cp -r avatars/* /usr/share/skype/ $ sudo cp -r lang/* /usr/share/skype/ $ sudo cp -r sounds/* /usr/share/skype/ $ sudo cp skype /usr/bin/ $ sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/skype
6. Now reboot your system and open Skype and you should see the last version running on your Arch Linux.
7. To revert changes to official Arch repository Skype run the following commands.
$ sudo pacman -R skype $ sudo pacman -S skype
If you want to install Skype 4.3 on other Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and OpenSuse visit Skype official page and grab the binary especially build and packaged for those distributions by Skype developers.