Linux Mint 16 codename “Petra” based on Ubuntu 13.10 was released on Saturday 30 November, 2013 and made available in two editions i.e MATE & Cinnamon. The new release comes with latest and greatest updated software’s, security updates, bug fixes and many improvements. Some of the exciting new feature adds extra and even more out-of-the-box experience.
Linux Mint is one of the most popular Ubuntu derivative Linux which is compatible with Ubuntu Software Repository. In this article we are covering installation of MATE version of Linux Mint 16. The Cinnamon version of installation we will be cover in our up-coming article.
Main Features and highlights:
- Based on Ubuntu 13.10
- Linux Kernel 3.11
- MATE 1.6
- MDM 1.4
- HTML Login
- USB Stick support
- Based on Ubuntu 13.10
- Performance improvement
- software Manager
- System Improvement
- Artwork Improvement
- Main Components
Note: Please read the Release Notes before an upgrade or installation of Linux Mint 16.
- x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
- 512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
- 5 GB of disk space
- Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
- CD/DVD drive or USB port
Download Linux Mint 16 “Petra” DVD ISO’s
Download Linux Mint 16 “Petra” – Cinnamon and Mate edition for 32 & 64-bit architecture using below links:
Download Cinnamon Edition
Download Mate Edition
Upgrade Linux Mint 15 to Linux Mint 16
To upgrade from previous Linux Mint version to latest Linux Mint 16, use the following article.
Installation of Linux Mint 16 “Petra” MATE Desktop Edition
1. Boot your system with bootable Linux Mint 16 or ISO media. In this article, we have used Linux Mint 16 ‘MATE‘ 32-bit Live ISO media.
2. We will get Linux Mint Desktop, Click on CD ICON “Install Linux Mint” to get started.
3. Installation Wizard started, select Language.
4. Preparing to install Linux Mint.
5. Installation type. Select “Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation”
6. Installation type “Something else” wherein you need to create partitions manually. (For advanced users)
7. Location Settings
8. Keyboard layout settings
9. Fill User informations.
10. That’s it. Installation Completed. Eject bootable media and restart system.
11. Login screen.
12. Linux Mint 16 “Petra” MATE Desktop.