How to Setup Local HTTP Yum Repository on CentOS 7

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Aaron Kili

Aaron Kili is a Linux and F.O.S.S enthusiast, an upcoming Linux SysAdmin, web developer, and currently a content creator for TecMint who loves working with computers and strongly believes in sharing knowledge.

1. Ardi says:

I am trying following step 9..

# createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/base/
    # createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/centosplus/
    # createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/extras/
    # createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/updates/

and i got massage like this..

Cannot create/verify /var/www/html/repos/base/.repodata
    Cannot create/verify /var/www/html/repos/centosplus/.repodata
    Cannot create/verify /var/www/html/repos/extras/.repodata
    Cannot create/verify /var/www/html/repos/updates/.repodata

can anyone help me?

thanks.

• Iñaki says:

Use -g comps.xml only with base repo, Use that after:

# createrepo /var/www/html/repos/centosplus/
      # createrepo /var/www/html/repos/extras/
      # createrepo /var/www/html/repos/updates/

2. Iñaki says:

Hi, Thanks for that post!

I have followed all steps, but finally, my local-base repo is enabled but appears a zero in the number of packages.

The output for "yum repolist all" is:
    id del repositorio nombre del repositorio estado
    !local-base CentOS Base habilitado: 0
    !local-centosplus CentOS CentOSPlus habilitado: 0
    !local-extras CentOS Extras habilitado: 0
    !local-updates CentOS Updates habilitado: 0
    repolist: 0

Can anybody help me, please?

3. Stephen Westrip says:

My local repo is working fine EXCEPT when I go onto another server and run a ‘yum update‘ I get nothing because the RPM was originally installed from CentOS 7 repos and the repo name is ‘base‘.

Now my local repo is named ‘local-base‘ the update does not work. I assume the update looks at the package name AND repo name and then if a match it would allow an update (if required). How do I bulk-update all the packages on my server so that yum thinks the RPM was installed from my ‘local-base‘ repo?

By the way, I can install new packages from the local repo successfully.

Thanks

• Stephen Westrip says:

An update to my OP – it is not the repo name as I changed the local-repos.repo file to have a repo name of base and that did not list updates either. I can install new packages, reinstall packages, list available and installed packages. Everything other than update packages!!

I have no idea what the problem could be now. Any assistance gratefully received.

• Stephen Westrip says:

*SOLVED* The problem was that I had not enabled local-updates. Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

@Stephen,

I think you should enable your local-base repo by changing enabled to 1 option in the .repo file.

4. jithendar says:

Hi, how can I add the yum repository to the client server, as I am getting the “server not found” error when am trying to download the repos in the client server.

5. Bobby says:

Thanks for the article. Works good but how do you create a epel offline repo? I used the steps to add epel download and it works but the client errors out as the epel repo folder does not have repodata folder even though I have the switch --download-metadata.

6. Jack Ka says:

I can’t yum anything from client when i was config follow this article.

[[email protected] ~]# yum repolist all
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
    http://nginx.htp.local/base/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Trying other mirror.
    Trying other mirror.
    http://nginx.htp.local/centosplus/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Trying other mirror.
    http://nginx.htp.local/extras/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Trying other mirror.
    http://nginx.htp.local/updates/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Trying other mirror.
    repo id                                                 repo name                                                 status
    local-base                                              CentOS Base                                               enabled: 0
    local-centosplus                                        CentOS CentOSPlus                                         enabled: 0
    local-extras                                            CentOS Extras                                             enabled: 0
    local-updates                                           CentOS Updates                                            enabled: 0

But when I yum update is failed:

failure: repodata/repomd.xml from local-base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

7. Ziad says:

Hi

I’m try to execute this command

# createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/centosplus/
    # createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/extras/
    # createrepo -g comps.xml /var/www/html/repos/updates/

but it show me error like this:

Error: groupfile /var/www/html/repos/centosplus/comps.xml cannot be found.
    Error: groupfile /var/www/html/repos/extras/comps.xml cannot be found.
    Error: groupfile /var/www/html/repos/updates/comps.xml cannot be found.

8. Chris Pesoa says:

How much resources should we allocate for the repo server?

RAM/HDD/Swap, etc.