CentOS 6.5 Released – Installation Guide with Screenshots
Karanbir Singh has announced the release of CentOS 6.5 on 1st December, 2013 and made available to download for both the 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. This is the fourth release in 6.x branches, CentOS-6.5 is based on the upstream release EL 6.5 comes with bug fixes, new functionalities & updates. It’s highly recommended to go through release notes as well as the upstream technical notes about the changes before an installation or up-gradation.
CentOS 6.5 Features
- Support for sub-microsecond clock accuracy over the LAN using the Precision Time Protocol (PTP)
- OpenSSL 1.0.1
- OpenSSL & NSS Support TLS 1.1 and 1.2
- Read only support of VMDK and VHDX files
- CPU hot plugging
- Updated virt-v2v-/virt-p2v-conversion tools
- Updated drivers for Hyper-V and VMware
- LibreOffice Version 4.0.4
- Evolution 2.32
- Depreciated features are matahari, python-qmf, python-qpid, qupd-cpp, qpid-qmf, qpid-tests, saslwrapper, ruby-qpid etc.
Download CentOS-6.5 DVD ISO’s
Torrent files for the DVD‘s are available at:
Torrent files for LiveCD and LiveDVD, Download these from either a mirror close to you or the torrents listed here.
Upgrade CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.5
Please follow article below to upgrade from other 6.x branches to latest CentOS 6.5 version.
CentOS 6.5 Installation Guide
1. Boot your system with CentOS bootable media or ISO, you’ll get following screen.
2. Check the media. You can Skip it.
3. CentOS Installer started.
4. Language to choose during installation process.
5. Select Keyboard type.
6. Select Storage Devices “Basic Storage Devices” and “Specialized Storage Devices (For advanced users)”.
7. Storage device warning, Click “Yes, discard any data“.
8. Give Hostname. Click on “Configure Network” button below if you want to configure network settings during installation. Same can be configure manually later on also.
9. Select location.
10. Set root password.
11. Select “Use All Space“, Click on Review and Modify partitioning layout if you want to verify or edit file system manually.
12. Selecting “Create Custom layout” screen where we can create RAID partitions and LVM as well.
13. Partitions review.
14. Format Warnings. Click “Format” which will erase existing data.
15. Writing storage configuration to disk.
16. Formatting drive.
17. Bootloader installation confirmation. Check “Use a boot loader password” box if you would like to give bootloader password.
18. Choose application to install. Select “Customize now” further selection of software’s.
19. Select applications of your choice.
20. The installation has begun.
21. Relax… Installation is still in progress. Have a cup of coffee to get it 100%.
22. Installation is complete. Eject media and click on “reboot“.
23. Login Screen.
24. CentOS 6.5 Desktop.