The debate of Python vs Perl is age old and we are not continuing this debate. Actually the author feels that the debate is very much meaningless. Both Python as well as Perl are used widely as scripting language. Both of them has its own Pros and Cons over other. We are discussing both the Programming Languages their features, pros, cons and a lot more.
Python is a general purpose high level Programming Language was developed by Guido van Rossum. Python is best known for its highly readable codes that lets you achieve lot of things in very few lines of code.
Features of Python
- FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)
- OOPS (Object Oriented Programming Language)
- Imperative i.e., computation in terms of statements
- Functional Programming i.e., computation in terms of Mathematical functions
- Procedural Programming i.e., step-by-step Programming
- Often used as scripting Language
- Community based Development
- Exceptional Handling, implemented
- Support for garbage collection and Memory Management.
- Current version Python 2.7.6
Perl is a general purpose High Level Programming Language was developed by Larry Wall. Perl stands for Practical Extraction and Reporting Language.
Features of Perl
- Dynamic Programming Language
- Useful for Graphical Programming
- Often used in scripting, and one of the Platform to create tools for System Administration
- Network Programming, Bioinformatics and Finance are its other area of Application.
- Camel, the symbol of perl is not officially declared.
- Procedural Programming
- Perl borrows a lot of features from programming languages like c, Lisp, AWK, sed, etc.
- Often used as glue language, working between two distinct interface.
- Often implemented as a core interpretor.
Pros and Cons of Python
Pros of Python
- Easy to learn for newbies.
- Programming Language seems designed
- Best for Small task with the help of predefined and keywords and commands.
- Great Object Oriented Approach
- cleaner Syntax
Cons of Python
- Force programmer to follow certain convention
- Codes wont work if indentation is incorrect
Pros and Cons of Perl
Pros of Perl
- Looks like Shell Language
- Follows Traditional Approach by using Braces for functions and Loops.
- Extremely Powerful Programming Language
- More Multi-purpose Language
- Mature Language
- Can be Imperative, Procedural, Functional or Object Oriented, depends upon need.
Cons of Perl
- Many ways to achieve same result, means unreadable code, which in turn means untidy code
- As scripting, it is slower for a lot of tasks.
- Object Oriented not implemented well
- Creates problem when the codes are larger say more than 200 Lines.
- Argument Handling is poor
- Not Portable
- No Interpretor Shell
- Ugly Libraries
The debate of Perl vs Python is very much religious. As a Developer one must choose his tool carefully. It is all about the task and the tool best suited for both of the above programming language has different goal and comparing them is a unfruitful task.
In this article we have not supported and/or rejected, any programming language neither can anyone do it. We Just tried our best to cover the right thing and avoid any controversy.
That’s all for Now. Provide us with your valuable Feedback in our comment section. I’ll be coming up with Interview Series articles soon. Till then Stay Tuned, Healthy and connected to Tecmint.
Latest posts by Avishek Kumar (see all)
- Installing Puppet Master and Agent in RHEL/CentOS 7/6/5 - October 8, 2014
- 15 Interview Questions on Linux “ls” Command – Part 1 - September 30, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why I Hate GNU/Linux – Do You Hate (Love) Linux? - September 5, 2014
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.