Firefox Quantum Eats RAM Like Chrome

Aaron Kili

Aaron Kili is a Linux and F.O.S.S enthusiast, an upcoming Linux SysAdmin, web developer, and currently a content creator for TecMint who loves working with computers and strongly believes in sharing knowledge.

1. Max Peace says:

There is no possible justification for a web browser to use up 2GiB of ram by the end of the day (ff quantum 61.0.1 64bit on xubuntu 18.04) with only 6 tabs open, RT on pause, 2 paused youtubes and 3 very simple static html pages. It’s a disgrace to the programming profession and mozilla should be ashamed of themselves.

• Aaron Kili says:

@Max

Am facing the same problems on a daily basis, my laptop now freezes a lot. It even gets worse when i open other applications such as VS Code which also consumes a lot of RAM. This surely needs to be checked by Firefox developers.

2. Jon says:

Bloody hell, the new 58 Quantum is now running processes under System (NT Kernel & System) on a win7, causing the CPU to average 50~75% just idling. This CPU utilization was never this bad with 57, Chrome64 and IE11 use far less CPU.

3. swon says:

A new release is available: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/58.0/releasenotes/

For me, I hope this fix is enough to overcome the problems I experienced: Loading pages faster by changing how Firefox caches and retrieves JavaScript.

4. tomas_arad says:

On my MSI GTX 700 old notebook, with 2G RAM – running Solus 3 MATE, – I can use decently Firefox, after 10h with 4 or 5 tabs open, I freeze the system. But with Chrome, freeze the system in 1h or less.

Vivaldi, I don’t now how, have better performance, but not like Firefox.

I notice, the memory usage is higher if I have Facebook and other sites notifications set to allow, in all web browser.

Its my experience, I’m not geek, tech people – I’m graphic designer.

Kael have right, if I have to do some work, (using: Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus, Atril ) I turn off and close all cloud service, skype, web browser, nitroshare to have enough RAM to work.

Years a go the web browser not was a problem.

5. J. Holmes says:

Don’t notice it on newer system but on an older one, it’s almost unusable the more tabs I open and the longer I leave computer open and Chromium is a better option now(!).

6. Kael says:

Unused memory is a waste.

If you on the other hand NEED to run multiple applications at the same time and do heavy stuff like blender, gimp… well, then you should focus on getting a more and BETTER ram.
    4gb is not enough to run gnome and browser in a complete experience.

Seriously.

• Aaron Kili says:

@Kael

Yes, “Unused memory is a waste”, but if a single software is designed to consume all RAM, then it is not reliable. And I will add more RAM to my system, i simply got curious about Quantum’s memory usage because all other previous updates did not have this kind of effect.

• Testertime says:

In all honesty, this whole “unused RAM is wasted RAM” thinking is the root cause why programs eat up so incredibly much memory and behave wasteful in general these days. When all developers also assume it’s just fine to add their shiny software to autostart, what do you think does this mindset when it comes to memory usage of their applications? Yeah, everything gets shameless. Using as much as possible just because it’s possible is a wasteful mindset – in my opinion, yes. Memory is there to be used for real stuff, and not make developers lazy.

Seriously.