Firefox Quantum Eats RAM Like Chrome

Aaron Kili

Aaron Kili is a Linux and F.O.S.S enthusiast, an upcoming Linux SysAdmin, web developer, and currently a content creator for TecMint who loves working with computers and strongly believes in sharing knowledge.

1. Jon says:

Bloody hell, the new 58 Quantum is now running processes under System (NT Kernel & System) on a win7, causing the CPU to average 50~75% just idling. This CPU utilization was never this bad with 57, Chrome64 and IE11 use far less CPU.

2. swon says:

A new release is available: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/58.0/releasenotes/

For me, I hope this fix is enough to overcome the problems I experienced: Loading pages faster by changing how Firefox caches and retrieves JavaScript.

3. tomas_arad says:

On my MSI GTX 700 old notebook, with 2G RAM – running Solus 3 MATE, – I can use decently Firefox, after 10h with 4 or 5 tabs open, I freeze the system. But with Chrome, freeze the system in 1h or less.

Vivaldi, I don’t now how, have better performance, but not like Firefox.

I notice, the memory usage is higher if I have Facebook and other sites notifications set to allow, in all web browser.

Its my experience, I’m not geek, tech people – I’m graphic designer.

Kael have right, if I have to do some work, (using: Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus, Atril ) I turn off and close all cloud service, skype, web browser, nitroshare to have enough RAM to work.

Years a go the web browser not was a problem.

4. J. Holmes says:

Don’t notice it on newer system but on an older one, it’s almost unusable the more tabs I open and the longer I leave computer open and Chromium is a better option now(!).

5. Kael says:

Unused memory is a waste.

If you on the other hand NEED to run multiple applications at the same time and do heavy stuff like blender, gimp… well, then you should focus on getting a more and BETTER ram.
    4gb is not enough to run gnome and browser in a complete experience.

Seriously.

• Aaron Kili says:

@Kael

Yes, “Unused memory is a waste”, but if a single software is designed to consume all RAM, then it is not reliable. And I will add more RAM to my system, i simply got curious about Quantum’s memory usage because all other previous updates did not have this kind of effect.