Google Chrome 65 Released – Install on Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Ravi Saive

I am Ravi Saive, creator of TecMint. A Computer Geek and Linux Guru who loves to share tricks and tips on Internet. Most Of My Servers runs on Open Source Platform called Linux. Follow Me: Twitter, Facebook and Google+

1. Siakishov Nossinsharka says:

Does not work on AMD 64bits machine that implements retro-compatibility with Intel 32 bits ( machines that answer to uname -a with i686 ) , when trying to execute it produces the error :

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable: line 74: /opt/google/chrome/chrome: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

2. Pradeep says:

Hi, I have tried to install google chrome on debian 6.0.2 ( AMD64 System) using both the methods. But i got only error messages.
    The terminal messages obtained are given below.

[email protected]:/home/X# sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    (Reading database … 97295 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking google-chrome-stable (from google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb) …
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy
    xz: (stdin): Unexpected end of input
    dpkg-deb: subprocess returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: error processing google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb (–install):
    short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./opt/google/chrome/chrome’
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus …
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils …
    Processing triggers for man-db …
    Processing triggers for menu …
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

Please help me in this regard.

@Pradeep,

Run the following command to fix all dependency issues.

$ sudo apt-get install -f

• col says:

Hi I get dependency problems:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of google-chrome-stable:
        google-chrome-stable depends on libappindicator1; however:
        Package libappindicator1 is not installed.
        google-chrome-stable depends on libcurl3; however:
        Package libcurl3 is not installed.

Attempting to install missing packages says they’re not found. Running sudo apt-get install -f does nothing

@Col,

Please run the below command to fix it.

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

Once that’s complete, Google Chrome will install without any errors..

@Pradeep,

If you still get the same error ouput, remove the current downloaded Google Chrome .deb file and download a fresh copy again and install it.

3. Pradeep says:

How to install google chrome on debian 6.0.2 ? I tried both the above steps and got error messages… Please help me..

@Pradeep,

The given instructions should work without any errors, but could you share what error you getting while installing Google Chrome on Debian?

4. Peter says:

Great write up. Thanks for the instructions.

5. Ray Licuanan says:

I tried the PPA approach, getting the STABLE version. I got this message at the bottom of install :

W: Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release Unable to find expected entry ‘main/binary-armhf/Packages’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

@Ray,

On which Linux distribution and architecture are you trying to install? Google Chrome no longer supports 32-bit OS starting from February this year..

• Ray says:

Hi Ravi,

I have just bought a Raspberry Pi 3, and installed a Debian 8 OS. Wanted to see if there is anything better than its installed browser…

@Ray,

Wow that’s really cool, even I was thinking to buy Raspberry Pi 3 for me since last 2 months, but still not yet! Go for Vivaldi browser, much better and fast than chrome, here is the doc https://www.tecmint.com/vivaldi-web-browser-for-linux/.

Also, Just a request, is it possible for you to create a article on Raspberry Pi 3 for our readers? I mean can you create a article on Basic Commandline Usage on Raspberry Pi 3 and share with our readers.

For more information on how to submit artice and become member of Tecmint can be found at https://www.tecmint.com/submit-articles/

• Ray says:

Write about the Command Line ? LOL! I am not yet an adept. I barely know Unix nowadays, having started up with command lines (I was known as the MS DOS batch king, automating anything from compiling programs to just moving files back and forth) and I see Unix now has GUI ! (Show my age, ain’t it ? Yep COBOL and JCL was still a reality for me back then)

I’ll be trying your suggestion of Vivaldi, but will also delve into Chromium OS, since the reviews I read said it had a good rating esp with playback of videos in Youtube etc.

@Ray,

Oh sorry Ray, i though you an avid Linux user, no problem thanks. Yes, Chromium OS also too good, give a try to it..

• Riven says:

Here are instructions for installing Chromium Browser on the Pi 3. Once you add the repository, you can update using apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, or apt-get install chromium-browser.

Chromium Browser on Pi 3:

For other Pi 3 stuff, see:

Pi 3 Performance & Cooling;

Pi 3 Review:

Pi 3 lockscreen and power save setup tutorial:

@Riven,

Thanks for the instructions about installing Chromium Browser on Pi3, hope it will helpful to Pi 3 users..

6. Megamos says:

Another Linux noob who wants to give his thanks!

7. Emily says:

For some reason this is not working for me. I used both techniques but when I tried to launch the browser by typing ‘google-chrome-stable’ nothing happens. Advice?

@Emily,
      Can you please share the error if you getting any on the screen? do you trying as normal user or root user?

8. wintermute says:

ppa in debian is a no no..
    as of yet at least..

9. Mauro Fontana says:

Wouldn’t be better to mention Chromium? It’s the same browser without the propietary plugins, which are packaged separatedy.

• Emily says:

The whole point of this article is to talk about installing google chrome on linux because you’ve never been able to do so before. You had to use chromium. Happy now?

10. Denise Painter says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I’m still a noob to Linux, been using it for about a year. I’m so happy at the speed and ease of use, and I’m dual booting in case I need to go back to Windows for something. The interesting thing is that this is happening less and less. I was using Chromium but started having some problems with some websites and someone suggested I switch to Chrome. Thanks again for your help.