How to Install Linux OS on USB Drive and Run it On Any PC

1. tazmo8448 says:

From Step 1 to Step 2 you must make two bootable usb’s. One with the OS/Distro you want to use; the other with the Gparted .ISO, then you boot to the Gparted with the blank (Main) usb inserted create the partitions (EXT4 & FAT32) THEN you boot to the bootable OS .ISO and install that to the partition you created.

2. tazmo8448 says:

Seems like you left out one very important fact, don’t we have to boot to the mounted CD .ISO first? then have the ‘blank usb (Main USB) inserted and also??

When you say download the .ISO you don’t make it clear what exactly you do with it to make it work. Your next image is of your drives listed. It would help if you explain or show how you got to that point then show how to use the .ISO to create the partition.

3. Jon says:

This does not work on my Acer laptop. It won’t recognize a usb stick with an ext filesystem. I can boot from a live usb as that is formatted to fat32 but not it does not recognize a usb stick formatted to ext4.

However it does work fine on my desktop and my Dell laptop. Thanks

4. Helder C Grande says:

Hello, thanks for the tutorial,

If I do that in my laptop, then unplug the USB drive, will windows boot normally? Or it will start with the grub (dual boot) interface?

Since the laptop I am using is not mine, I don’t want to do any permanent change on it.

• Amit Nandkumar Hambar says:

Yes windows will boot normally. see step no. 7. you have to select bootloader device as your usb drive. so it will not affect SSD/HDD of that laptop.

5. Joe W says:

1) I hate Windows 10 (and all the previous versions, too) for every reason ever stated.
    2) I’d like to get ANY Linux OS, just to try it out to see if it’s any better than W.10.
    3) You lost me at: “Step One: Use your Linux ISO image file … ” ???????

Thanks for trying, but…!

I didn’t get weaned on an electronic device. I didn’t suckle on a mouse curser-teat. I read books I held in my hands and if there was a lit-up screen, it was a TV and what went in my eyes usually left the moment the next spray of electrons changed what was shown enough to detect motion in the picture.

Most TVs were still black and white and I always wondered what NBC’s peacock actually looked like. When I was in High School, the most modern computer filled a multi-story building, ran on magnetic tape and received instructions via punch cards, and had less capacity than a 2017 fit-bit.

I have been searching for years for ANY “literally” Step-by-Step how-to-get-a-copy instructions so I can experience Linux without the corporate for-profit motivated intrusions that accompany all Microsoft and/or addle and/or gurgle “product”.

Is ANYONE aware of such a set of instructions? Karmic infinite justice (it isn’t a bad thing) upon all who reveal (or create) such an up-to-date set of instructions. I’d really like to experience it before I can’t experience anything at all.

Joe

• Amit Hambar says:

Linux is different than Windows. Windows is developed commercially for commercial purpose by a single company, where as Linux is developed by many developers from many distributors. Windows is the base for most of the software developed. that’s why it is difficult to make it work on any Linux distribution. Both Operating systems are having their own advantages and disadvantages.

I don’t saying that Linux cannot be used as Windows, I am using Linux for more than 5 years without any problem. I can do every task on Linux even some extra features than windows are there. Give some time to Linux, try every possible way of doing tasks you want. Take help of Linux communities and then Linux will be your friend. Best Luck.

6. Henrik says:

For use on USB with different PC’s and laptops it seems easier to make “”lubuntu live usb persistence“” which for instance this tutorial shows

But maybe I am missing out something important about your fine tutorial compared to the live usb persistence?

• Amit Hambar says:

Yes, Live USB persistence will be useful for making files available after reboot. but USB created by this tutorial makes every change permanent in the system. That means every modifications like installing software, tweaks, settings, files etc. will not change after reboot.
      It is just like installing OS on your Hard disk, only the thing is, that hard disk (i.e. pen drive here) is portable.