How to Install and Use MS SQL Server on Linux

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Gabriel Cánepa

Gabriel Cánepa is a GNU/Linux sysadmin and web developer from Villa Mercedes, San Luis, Argentina. He works for a worldwide leading consumer product company and takes great pleasure in using FOSS tools to increase productivity in all areas of his daily work.

1. sandeep says:

I have installed Oracle VM and Then installed Red Hat Linux 7 evaluation version from Red Hat Website.

But after that how to copy the sql server 2017 installation files onto Linux machine. I have installed winscp to copy from Windows to Linux.

But how do i connect to Linux using winscp.

@Sandeep,

In Winscp enter the IP address of Linux Server, Select SSH Server Port as “22” and enter user credentials to connect to remote Linux.

2. vartaxe says:

is the express version now available?

3. Avtar Singh says:

I am getting this error
    =====================================
    This program has encountered a fatal error and cannot continue running.
    The following diagnostic information is available:

Reason: 0x00000001
    Signal: SIGILL – Illegal instruction (4)
    Stacktrace: 00005562a2bd48b9 00007fb90827d390
    Process: 8484 – sqlservr
    Thread: 8564 (application thread 0x1130)
    Instance Id: 52cd4f85-2293-40f8-ad20-ac08754bbd74
    Crash Id: c2813c22-5e0e-4701-acd9-b48a2694eb8c
    Build stamp: 94eba6a4633ca4c0df02f5ac93a5ec71d5e614105861a7140bd16aa838f6b2d7

Capturing core dump and information…
    Attempting to capture a dump with paldumper
    Core dump and information are being compressed in the background. When complete,
    they can be found in the following location:
    /var/opt/mssql/log/core.sqlservr.05_25_2017_06_54_36.8484.tbz2
    ========================
    Amy pointer will be helpful

• Gabriel A. Canepa says:

At what point are you getting this error? What distribution are you using? Did you check the dump?

• Avtar Singh says:

This is the error while I trying to run the following command after installing the MySQL server:

/opt/mssql/bin/mssql-conf setup
        =====
        mssql version is 14.0.600
        =====
        Distribution is ubuntu and centos.and how can i view gdmp file in ubuntu.

4. Mark says:

Hello Sir please help me i’m not getting it right, using linux mint 18 after the first 2 code when i try sudo /opt/mssql/bin/sqlservr-setup it gives me this sudo: /opt/mssql/bin/sqlservr-setup: command not found

• Gabriel A. Cánepa says:

I would advise you to make you’ve followed all of the installation steps. If so, make sure your Linux Mint 18 is based off Ubuntu 16.04 which is the version the SQL server repositories are configured for.

• M Kinder says:

had same problem, make sure there is a space between sqlservr and the dash.

5. Ryan says:

Hello, I can connect to my server using the CLI.

However whenever I try to use mssql in php my login gets denied with the same login details.

I’m on a Ubuntu server using Apache

6. mehmet says:

I’m trying to install SQL Server on Mint.
    when i run setup, I get the following error. any help would be highly appreciated.

Failed to issue method call: No such interface ‘org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties’ on object at path /org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/mssql_2dserver_2eservice

• Gabriel A. Cánepa says:

What Mint version are you using? In theory this should work in Linux Mint 18.1 and newer. Two constraints here are: 1) Does your Mint version use systemd?, and 2) Is it based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is the distribution the Microsoft repositories are available for?

7. singaravelan says:

Please put on a MS SQL licence registration process details

8. Arvind says:

Nice Article. Require once more step to make sqlcmd work.

Before testing the mssql, make sure to run the following commands

# ln -sfn /opt/mssql-tools/bin/sqlcmd-13.0.1.0 /usr/bin/sqlcmd
    # ln -sfn /opt/mssql-tools/bin/bcp-13.0.1.0 /usr/bin/bcp

After the above commands sqlcmd will work on terminal

9. Tahiriah says:

Can’t imagine MIcrosoft product and repository on my GNU system. But I will give a try in order to compare it with postgres or mariadb.

Thanks for the article

10. Krzysztof Rogacewicz says:

Hello, great article. I installed MS SQL on Ubuntu server, everything works fine. I have one problem, How to activate this instance? I want run my production sql server on Linux, but when i restart a instance i got massage that this only 143 days to activate..

I cant find information on websites how do this… To get help from Microsoft i must have subscription..
    Please help :-)