Setting up a ‘PXE Network Boot Server’ for Multiple Linux Distribution Installations in RHEL/CentOS 7

Best Affordable Linux and WordPress Services For Your Business
Outsource Your Linux and WordPress Project and Get it Promptly Completed Remotely and Delivered Online.

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Daewon Kim says:

For me, I also had to open port 4011/udp on the PXE/DHCP server to make everything work successfully.
    My system failed with PXE-E78 error until I configured this port on my firewall

2. pardeep singh says:

Hello sir

I have successfully installed the PXE boot server, but have a question Can I add Ubuntu or Linux Mint image to PXE server as a CentOS?

3. Dan C says:

My advice to you all is don’t waste your time with this post, there are couple things missing:

no tftp config / enabled

no test commands showing each individual protocol ftp, tftp is working and a test file transfer is successful.

there are some issue with the file requests while pixing booting the machine.

• Matei Cezar says:

Tftp service is enabled in dnsmasq service. The configuration works without a flaw if you follow all steps.

4. Mostafa Hisham says:

Hello,

Great topic and very special and into the point description, every thing worked great with me except one thing, while installing the the centos from the FTP i face many failures and cannot find the root cause for it as the following:

Then the installation stop and provide a prompt /#

thanks for your support

• Matei Cezar says:

Make sure the content of CentOS ISO image has been completely copied to /var/ftp/pub/. Verify from CLI with ls command ( ls /var/ftp/pub/liveos/) or from a browser ftp://serverip/pub/liveos/. If it was completely copied you should see squashfs file on that directory.

5. Matt says:

method= is deprecated; use inst.repo= instead.

6. Tim says:

Is there a way to have the “CentOS 7 Local Mirror Installation Source” updated regularly from http://mirror.centos.org/centos-7/7/ so that the new installs have fewer updates to install?

7. jfoucry says:

Hello,

Great tutorial, it almost work for me but… I try to boot a VM (for testing) and the boot failed when reading/launching centos7/initrd.img. After about 5 minutes I have the message “Boot failed: press a key to retry”

The number of dot after loading is 3 (Loading centos7/initrd.img…)

tftpboot is running, vsftpd too. I ran isc-dhcp on another server, but this part for fine.

Did someone experimented the same problem and have a solution.

Thanks in advance for your tutorial and eventual help.

8. Matei Cezar says:

Check initrd.img and vmlinuz files from tftp server path: /var/lib/tftpboot. Also, check the Local Mirror Installation Source from FTP path and the permissions on those files and Kickstart file.

9. Tushar says: