How to Install WordPress 4.9 On Ubuntu 16.10/16.04 Using LAMP Stack

3. Get your own self-hosted blog with a Free Domain at ($3.95/month).

Aaron Kili

Aaron Kili is a Linux and F.O.S.S enthusiast, an upcoming Linux SysAdmin, web developer, and currently a content creator for TecMint who loves working with computers and strongly believes in sharing knowledge.

1. callum says:

It seems your syntax is incorrect I copy and paste from your line:

define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’); /** MySQL database username */ define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’); /** MySQL database password */ define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’); /** MySQL hostname */ define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); /** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */ define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’); /** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */ define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

replace as you suggest but get the following error for all the entries

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”)’ at line

• Aaron Kili says:

Please, open the file wp-config.php:
      $sudo vi wp-config.php

Then change the settings(database name, user, user password, host etc…) according to your database server configurations.

2. callum says:

Great tutorial until i get to the section “then update it with your database information under the MySQL settings section (refer to the highlighted boxes in the image below):”

I am sitting looking at command prompt how do i do the next section?

3. Frank says:

Very helpful, many thanks…

4. Felipe Cabral says:

Nice post. It was so helpful to me. Thanks so much for shared your knowledge

5. Tom M says:

So I followed the instructions and when I try to go to localhost I get a blank page. But the source for the page is as follows.

* Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
     * wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
     * @package WordPress
     * Tells WordPress to load the WordPress theme and output it.
     * @var bool
    define('WP_USE_THEMES', true);
    /** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
    require( dirname( __FILE__ ) . '/wp-blog-header.php' );

What did I do wrong?

6. Ravi Kumar says:

I’m new to the Linux OS and able to install my first php library i.e wordpress by myself. super easy to use instruction. Please keep up the good work.

Many Thanks

• Aaron Kili says:

Welcome, thanks for the kind words of appreciation. We always intend to offer simple, easy-to-follow and useful instructions in out guides, for Linux users with a special consideration for newbies.

7. srk says:

very good explaination

8. says:

Nice! thank you. just got WordPress installed on my new Mint server in Virtual Box on my MacBook pro

9. Matt says:

Hello, thank you for this guide. Is this a good guide for a production server facing the internet? Are there any other steps that need to be taken in order to properly configure a production web server? Additional security, etc…

10. juanita says:

hi, how can add my domain on this server? i just install and the address is my ip address?