FrostWire (formerly known as Gnutella) is an open source P2P client alternative to Limewire. It was originally very similar to LimeWire in appearance and performance, but later developers added more rich features such as including BitTorrent client, Magnet Link, Wi-Fi sharing, Internet Radio, iTunes, Video/Audio Player support. It is written in Java language so it is compatible with all operating systems like Linux, Windows and Mac.
The FrostWire client is used to search, download and share large files and folders such as, Songs, Movies, Games, eBooks, Softwares, etc. across millions of people right from your computer from a peer-to-peer network.
Recently, FrostWire reached to 5.6.5 version and comes with some major improvements and features. Following are the few changes and updates in version 5.6.5.
What’s new in FrostWire 5.6.5
- Enhances Soundcloud search, download, streaming.
- An issue fixed, that appears when starting downloads made of numerous single files that related to the same .torrent.
- When opening finished transfers on the library with a double click.
- It will no longer enter the name of the file on the library search tab.
- Fixes issues where magnets crawled would leave
- Torrent files behind inside default torrents directory.
Watch FrostWire in Action
Installing FrostWire Bittorrent Client in Linux
There is no any official repository available yet to download and install FrostWire 5.6.5 in Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint and RHEL/CentOS/Fedora. So we have to download the “.deb” or “.rpm” package from the official FrostWire website using “wget” command as shown.
On Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint
$ sudo wget http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.6.5/frostwire-5.6.5.all.deb $ sudo dpkg -i frostwire-5.6.5.all.deb $ sudo apt-get install -f
# wget http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.6.5/frostwire-5.6.5.noarch.rpm # rpm -ivh frostwire-5.6.5.noarch.rpm
Open the Frostwire application, and follow setup wizard screen instructions to properly installing the application.
FrostWire Wizard Setup
BitTorrent Sharing Settings
State Your Intent
Search and Download
Latest posts by Ravi Saive (see all)
- 10 Useful Free Linux eBooks for Newbies and Administrators - December 9, 2013
- TeamViewer 9 Released – Install on RHEL/CentOS/Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu - December 8, 2013
- CentOS 6.5 Released – Upgrade from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.5 - December 2, 2013
Linux Services & Free WordPress Setup
Our post is simply ‘DIY’ aka ‘Do It Yourself, still you may find difficulties and want us to help you out. We offer wide range of Linux and Web Hosting Solutions at fair minimum rates. Please submit your orders by Clicking Here.