FrostWire (formerly known as Gnutella) is an open source P2P client alternative to Limewire. It was originally very similar to LimeWire in appearance and performance, but later developers added more rich features such as including BitTorrent client, Magnet Link, Wi-Fi sharing, Internet Radio, iTunes, Video/Audio Player support. It is written in Java language so it is compatible with all operating systems like Linux, Windows and Mac.
The FrostWire client is used to search, download and share large files and folders such as, Songs, Movies, Games, eBooks, Softwares, etc. across millions of people right from your computer from a peer-to-peer network.
Recently, FrostWire reached to 5.7.2 version and comes with some major improvements and features, but main focus is about performance and stability. Following are the few changes and updates in version 5.7.2.
What’s new in FrostWire 5.7.2
- Enabled uTP support.
- Multiple crash fixes.
- Single file torrents now can be played from transfer list.
- Fixes UI Thread freeze when opening Options > Search.
- Improved error reporting when a torrent can’t be retreived from a magnet connection.
- Spanish translation update by @dennistobar.
Watch FrostWire in Action
Installing FrostWire Bittorrent Client in Linux
There is no any official repository available yet to download and install FrostWire 5.7.2 in Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint and RHEL/CentOS/Fedora. So we have to download the “.deb” or “.rpm” package from the official FrostWire website using “wget” command as shown.
On Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint
$ sudo wget http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.2/frostwire-5.7.2.all.deb $ sudo dpkg -i frostwire-5.7.2.all.deb $ sudo apt-get install -f
# wget http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.2/frostwire-5.7.2.noarch.rpm # rpm -ivh frostwire-5.7.2.noarch.rpm
Open the Frostwire application, and follow setup wizard screen instructions to properly installing the application.
FrostWire Wizard Setup
BitTorrent Sharing Settings
State Your Intent
Search and Download
Latest posts by Ravi Saive (see all)
- How to Install GUI (Gnome 3) Using CD/DVD on RHEL/CentOS 7 - December 18, 2014
- Wine 1.7.33 (Development Version) Released – Install in RedHat and Debian Based Systems - December 13, 2014
- How to Enable RPMForge Repository in RHEL/CentOS 7.x/6.x/5.x - December 12, 2014