Alternatives of 13 Most Commonly Used Windows Applications for Linux

1. Jacque Donald says:

I’m A Linux fan and windows fan, I think they both have their advantages. What leads me to comment on this article is the notion you make that these applications you mention are more reliable and less buggy and also more secure. I have been in the business for almost fifteen years and I run a majority of these applications for a variety of uses on windows 7 and windows 8 and I don’t experience any crashes or buggy behavior at all… And as for security the majority of these applications run on either platform and security is something that begins with your system and network configuration along with the tools and technique you use to ensure your own safety, and I just have to say that the majority of your safety is based on that not on your choice of operating system or software. I am not in any way saying these aren’t good applications, nor am I saying one operating system is better than another because in reality the best is the one that fulfills your needs for your own requirements not just some bucket list that claims it’s better because it’s FOSS.

2. Joel says:

Left out of browsers was Chromium. That should be added since it works great in Linux.

3. Walter Freud says:

I recommend another free alternative to Microsoft Office:

freeoffice.com

Why? Because it doesn’t need as much resources as LibreOffice (57MB compared to 190MB), it is less packed but has all the functionalities that an efficient office suite needs, it’s faster, it has a better UI, but mainly it has a much better compatibility to Microsoft Office formats than LibreOffice. Whilst LO messes up many formats, file exchange with FreeOffice works excellent. It includes the great import and export filters from SoftMaker which are regarded as the best on the market.

4. Frank Williams says:

Good article. It is complimentary to a more extensive article at

Linux Equivalents

5. zoly says:

Isn’t the Pinta a program? So there should be “Pinta” (uppercase) and not “pinta”.

6. Zta says:

Nice list all in all. It’s important to remind people of the alternatives. Even though the part about Office suites seemed more like the familiar Linux-is-better-rant which is a bit sad.

Anyway, I have some additions that I think are important. Some I’ve just read about and ever used, others are on my TODO-list to check out, and some I am a regular or daily user of.

1. Microsoft Office

* WPS Office is an MS Office lookalike, so if that’s important to you: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/wps-office-for-linux-looks-like-microsoft-office-but-isnt

3. Internet Explorer

* Google Chrome (or Chromium as the Open Source proejct is called). Everyone knows it, it’s probably the world’s most used browser, and I wonder why you didn’t *want* to mention it: http://www.chromium.org/Home

4. Windows AOL

* Empathy is default in Ubuntu and therefore deserves mentioning. Like Pidgin (and probably others) it integrates with nearly any chat service on the planet: https://live.gnome.org/Empathy

5. Adobe Photoshop

* Darktable is a photo editor, very much like Adobe Lightroom. It’s a must have if own a digital camera! http://www.darktable.org/
    * Inkscape for vector graphics: http://inkscape.org/
    * Scribus for DTP (text and graphics layouting): http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Even though neither of the tools have a learning curve that’s like a walk in the park, they’re all very impressive tools!

10. Windows Movie Maker

* Cinelerra … last I checked it was a very, very complex application to use. My guess is that if you expect Windows Movie Maker and enter Cinelerra, your head would explode. It should definitely not be on top of the list, if t here at all.

* Lightworks, professional tool and quite new on Linux. Probably as feature-rich as Cinelerra, but maybe easier to use. I’m guessing, but the application definitely deserves mentioning: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/lightworks-enter-public-beta

• Skylance says:

Mail program (Thunderbird) would have been a good inclusion.

I would take some exception on the “Windows AOL” section, though. Respectfully, perhaps the author is not as well-versed in chat/messaging programs. Windows did not come with AOL or AIM as default, but rather MSN & Windows Messenger. AIM is a product of AOL, which is a separate entity from Microsoft (despite what the old chain letter claimed). Likewise, Yahoo! Messenger, and other proprietary programs were/are user installed extras. Pidgin and Empathy are two FOSS programs that allow for accounts through one of these other services to be used through Linux.

With regard to browsers, it may be worth taking a look at Sleipnir, though it’s not got a very strong foothold at present.

7. Harri says:

Replacement for Outlook?

8. Hameed says:

There are many differences between Microsoft Office and Libreoffice but Microsoft Office can be used with Wine in Linux, until Linux office packages improved.

• Federico Marchetti says:

One thing you will realize if you teach statistics in a community college is that Libre Office doesn’t have much in terms of pre-programmed statistics. Neither does MS Office, but you can install the data analysis extension, and I am not aware of an equivalent in LO. However, Gnumeric (lightweght, in theory part of the Gnome office “suite”, with AbiWord) does have the stuff built in, you don’t have to install anything extra, and, in some aspects, it does a cleaner job than MS Office. It’s not suited for very heavy professional grade stats, but then, neither is MS Office – you need R for that.

As far as I know, Gnumeric is available for Windows, but not on OS X. It is, of course, available on Linux

9. Peter Jansen says:

Adobe reader is available for linux, and, though probably not supported anymore, there was at a time a Nero burning ROM for Linux (Nero burning ROM 4). I am also surprised Chromium (Google Chrome) wasn’t under the browser list.

• Avishek says:

The policy of chrome is a little unknown to us.
      Chrome tracks anything and everything, what ever you do on web.
      Although Chromium is opensource and too fast as compared to other browser but still this didn’t make it to this article.

If you are on chromium there is nothing called privacy. just serach for anything which is not common e.g., books, biscuit, shoes, cosmetics and you will be surprised to know that, from then all the ads will be related to your search term. Just check this.

• jocaferro says:

You don’t know the policy of Chrome/Chromium and this is the only fact you’d excluded from the list. Allright it’s your opinion and I’ll respect it although I disagree with you.
        But why did you choose Opera knowing that it’s not FOSS!?
        Or why did you choose some apps that depend of the patent disguised mono!?

If you use any os the above mentioned browsers with the Google search engine/bar you’ll have the same problems. If you want to choose another search engine in Chrome/chromium you can do it too. So I don’t clear understand why your privacy fear excluded this browser. I’m sure you know that you can browse the web anonymously with Chrome/Chromium, right?

Best regards.

• Andrew Hadweh says:

I totally agree with you, no privacy at all… it just fetch all cookies and every bit!

10. Peter Molnar says:

Photoshop could not be replaced only with Gimp; however, if you list Gimp + Inkscape, you’re closer to the truth.