Create an Active Directory Infrastructure with Samba4 on Ubuntu – Part 1

Matei Cezar

I'am a computer addicted guy, a fan of open source and linux based system software, have about 4 years experience with Linux distributions desktop, servers and bash scripting.

1. Thank you for the perfect tutorial! I had the same problems with DNS where I could not ping the server. I found out after a second installation attempt, that I should follow the steps exactly as mentioned here and at the Ubuntu server installation instructions https://www.tecmint.com/installation-of-ubuntu-16-04-server-edition/ and after that everything worked fine.

On my first attempt I installed the Linux server without looking the installation instructions and I installed the system as per usual. So I pre-installed DNS and other features, encrypted my home folder, and did not interrupt the network detection process to enter the settings manually.

I also skipped step 3 from this page. On the second attempt I just entered the same hostname as on the installation process. I think this, or the pre-installed DNS server caused the problem.

I also found two typos:
    At step 11 sudo mv /etc/krb6.conf /etc/krb5.conf.initial should be sudo mv /etc/krb5.conf /etc/krb5.conf.initial and at step 11, it should be broadcast.

2. HJ Z says:

Great tutorial,

I did this on a Debian 9.6. Most things worked fine.

I had to systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc, and install net-tools.

I checked with smbclient -L localhost %U – It puzzles me why does Workgroup always return WORKGROUP?

3. Juston Griggs says:

Hello!

Great Document, however, everything works for up to Step 16, when I do the command:

# ping –c3 goneoweb.local

I get the error

ping: unknown host –c3

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces and my /etc/resolv.conf.

iface eth0 inet static
            address                 10.16.24.50
            netmask                 255.255.255.0
            broadcast               10.16.24.255
            gateway                 10.16.24.1
            dns-nameservers         127.0.0.1 10.16.24.50
            dns-search              goneoweb.local

nameserver 10.16.24.50
    search goneoweb.local

I’m kind of at a standstill. I’m in the process of setting this up for use with my small business, 3 computers, and 6 users. So any help would be greatly appreciated! Again, great article! Thanks

• Cezar Matei says:

Add 127…. to resolv.conf file. why you use the second nameserver. Is that a dc also? If not, leave only 127…8n both files.

• Juston O Griggs says:

The machine Im setting all this up on has a static of 10.16.24.50, so I dont need to reference that in the resolv.conf?

4. Michael Weber says:

It’s a very nice to read guide, thank you for that. Still i have one issue i can not figure out:

The DNS.

I can ping rowdyserver
    I can ping rowdyserver.lindelaan.lan

but i dont get any anwer when i just ping lindelaan.lan

my resolv.conf looks like this

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 192.168.2.7
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    search feuer.lan

and i have no idea where to look to fix that.

5. Venkatesh says:

Thanks for this interesting tutorial. I have configured samba server in my system. But after the setup, the internet is not working. I getting the below-mentioned error. Please guide me to resolve the issues.

FYI The error which gets is “Failed to start Raise network interfaces.” when restarting networking service

6. Mohan N says:

I am a newbie on Ubuntu as AD Server. I was going through the steps on this article on osx-virtualbox-ubuntu16 (host-only + nat). The same VM also has DNS (bind9), will be adding DHCP here as well if all goes well. :)

For the DNS to be able to work for “host -t A tecmint.lan” what kind of record should be there in the DNS?